Re: TeXmacs Installation problem

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: tolugboji <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs Installation problem
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 21:15:49 +0000

On 07.10.21 23:11, tolugboji wrote:
I did as instructed.

setenv TEXMACS_PATH [installation directory]

setenv PATH $TEXMACS_PATH/bin:$PATH

I extracted in /home/tolu/Opstk/bin/texmacs/texmacs-2.1/TeXmacs/bin

then used in my .bashrc

export TEXMACS_PATH=${HOME}/Opstk/bin/texmacs/texmacs-2.1a/TeXmacs/bin
export PATH=$PATH:$TEXMACS_PATH

I have a faint knowledge of how environment variables are set in Linux

(terminal vs. other ways of starting programs).

Perhaps setting an environment variable via .bashrc works only for

terminal sessions; in this case you should still be able to start

TeXmacs from a terminal.
It was how I was doing (from terminal) but returned

But getting

Error message:
guile could not be found

Weird :-)

In my Ubuntu I had to create a texmacs.sh file in with the export

commands in /etc/profile.d/ (in .bashrc it would not work for TeXmacs

started through the graphical interface, I figured out where to put the

commands with an Internet search).
Do you have some commands I can try from the terminal to launch it?

The most sure way is to cd to the bin directory in the directory where you copied the static TeXmacs binary (in your case ${HOME}/Opstk/bin/texmacs/texmacs-2.1a/TeXmacs/bin), then do

./texmacs