Re: Adding furigana to Japanese kanji (like HTML ruby)

  • From: Luis Felipe <address@hidden>
  • To: Luis Felipe <address@hidden>
  • Cc: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Adding furigana to Japanese kanji (like HTML ruby)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 14:12:56 +0000
  • Feedback-id: 24022468:user:proton

On Sunday, June 19th, 2022 at 23:54, Luis Felipe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Is it possible to add furigana/yomigana to Japanese kanji like in HTML? For
> example, in HTML I can use a RUBY element to tag a word, say 日本語, so that
> little reading characters appear on top of each kanji. For example, the
> following

> would render like
>

> にほんご
> 日本語
>

> Is this possible in current version of TeXmacs? If not, would it be even
> feasible?

Giumo Clanjor provided a solution, but it seems the message went off-list, so
I paste it below:

> Type "\above" (without quotes) and press enter.
> Then type "日本語", you will see there are some little space above the kanji.
> Click the space and type "にほんご".

The "above" element is a mathematical primitive, but so far it seems to work
just fine in this context of Japanese.

Note that you can also simply type any text in Japanese and add the yomigana
later, and to each individual kanji, for accurate possitioning. Like so:

1. Select a kanji
2. Type \above
3. Press Enter
4. Type kana in the little box above the kanji

Now, I imagine I could map the "above" element to a selected word using some
programming, and that way all kanji in the word would get little boxes for
yomigana in a second, to save some typing. I'll try that soon.

Thanks again, Giumo.