Re: Selection and replacement, macro expansion

  • From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Selection and replacement, macro expansion
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:12:43 +0100

The trick is to select the text, and then type
C-w (ctrl-w).  I know it's cludgy if you're not use it it, but I'm sure
the functionality is realated to texmacs having it's roots with emacs.

I think there should be a toggle for it, and there probably is an
undocumented one.

I am not sure this solves my problem. In emacs I use C-w for "cutting", and
this is precisely what I get in TeXmacs: the text is cut, but next I have to
type something in its place. The standard functionality in most text editors
is that if you start typing with something selected, the selection goes away
when you press any key. This is a combo-op: "C-w" + "write the first letter"
where the first letter may be a long pasted text as well.

Remark:: I am by no means an advanced emacs user (and BTW, I think no texmacs
user should), so please don't beat me too hard if I misundertood the answer.

In this direction I would like to point out that it should be possible to
have alternate keybinding groups, as in LyX, bundled by default with texmacs,
so that people from the C-x, C-c, C-v world don't get annoyed too early to
appreciate TeXmacs virtues. This boils down to somebody writing a win32like
keybinding file, but also to avoiding tying TeXmacs to an exclusively
emacsish behaviour (in this respect).

Related to this, I think most of us agree that S + arrow key should start a
selection. Have you any plans for it, Joris?. Should I put the suggestion in
the http://alqua.com/tmresources wishlist?

regards,

--
álvaro.tejero.cantero