Re: TeXmacs webpage needs help

  • From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: Jan Ulrich Hasecke <address@hidden>
  • Cc: TeXmacs users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs webpage needs help
  • Date: 22 Sep 2003 18:52:08 -0400

t seems my suggestion has opened a HUGE can of worms.

I wholly agree with the points raised by Andreas, and I am in part
responsible for the wiki.

In relation to Jan's complaints, migration wouldn't be so difficult once
a permission framework is set up so that the effort is distributed. We
would let X take the downloads page, Y update the FAQ, Z do the news and
TWN and W do the "in the press" etc etc (or everybody everything, but
the point is that we should not go through the webmaster bottleneck).
That, in a certain time, made the wiki a thriving place.

> Would you like to set up a plone-site like http://my.gnus.org ?
>
> It is really nice.

I work with plone, I would like to have the money to offer plone hosting
to TeXmacs, but I haven't it. So let's wait and help the Cri74.

> To set up a new site is done in seconds, but it is painful to migrate
> the content from the old site to the new one. Who wants to do that?

Not so!. Even if only one person takes the task it's not so paiful!

> Perhaps we should promote, that it is possible to access
> online-help via texmacs itself without a browser.

Yes, but again the starting point is a HTML webpage. Plus, if you do
that remark from a zope site you can have people opening every page in
TeXmacs through external editor.

Regarding your other comments, Jan, I find they're right, but outside
the scope of this discussion. I only wanted to point out a simple manner
to improve the website.

I think that everybody has his top 5 wishes for TeXmacs (pdf, xml, gui,
cli invocation, stylewriter, etc etc) and we mostly agree that some of
them are really urgent. But we lack the hands and time to help Joris and
David to further their tasks.

Regards, á.

--
Álvaro Tejero Cantero