Re: [TeXmacs] C-x, C-c, C-v

  • From: Mark Arrasmith <address@hidden>
  • To: Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>, Nicolas Ratier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] C-x, C-c, C-v
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:21:22 -0500

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 10:21 am, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:31:26AM +0200, Nicolas Ratier wrote:
> >> a _separate_ "CUA/Windows" keybinding style would make you even happier?
> >
> > That a good solution, I use TeXmacs under Suse/KDE, for memory the
> > following keys are the standard shortcut key bindings included in
> > the KDE distribution.
>
> Of CUA/Windowsy inspiration and in total break with any kind of Unixy
> inspiration. How these people can claim they are developing a Desktop
> for Unix with a straight face is beyond me.

Well it is hard to move people from Windows to Linux if they have to relearn
keybinding. Actually, I should say it is hard to move math professors, 50 -
70 year old math professors, who have spent the last 10 years learning
Windows keybinding onto Linux if they have to relearn what is basically a
physical memory.

A 60 year old math professor might stand over my sholder and say "That sure
is
a nice program". But they get frustrated and dump it because it doesn't act
like any programs they know. And new users want a desktop environment like
KDE or GNOME. And TeXmacs is geared towards them, but it doesn't act like
KDE or GNOME.

Right now graduate students in the department complain if I forget to install
TeXmacs for them because they can learn to live with the differences. But
not people who are set in their ways.

> > How many people would like to use these keys with TeXmacs ?
>
> <troll mood="excessively aggressive and insulting">
> One.
> </troll>

At least two :)

- mark