Re: [TeXmacs] New TeXmacs package available for Slackware 10

  • From: am29 <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New TeXmacs package available for Slackware 10
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:04:20 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> Yes. Due to a bug in early versions of g++ 3.*, we had to include
> the flags -fno-default-inline -fno-inline. In the most recent versions,
> these options can be suppressed in order to achieve a considerable gain
> in speed. But this situation is recognized by the configure script.
> What version of g++ do you use?
>
> Best wishes, Joris

I've read src/common.makefile to understand what kind of optimization
are turned on and I've found that if I do

$ ./configure

the variable CXXOPTIMIZE is set to
CXXOPTIMIZE = -O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-default-inline
-fno-inline -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
I'm using gcc 3.3.4 so -fno-default-inline -fno-inline should be actvated by default and -fexpensive-optimizations is included in -O3
As tou suggested I've done

$ make CXXOPTIMIZE="-O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-default-inline
-fno-inline -fno-rtti -march=i486 -mcpu=i686"

to add architecture specific optimizations, and I've tried

$ make CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-default-inline
-fno-inline -fno-rtti -march=i486 -mcpu=i686"

to deactivate warnings.
I try to do my best to obtain a good compilation: I'd like to provide fast and stable binaries so I hope this optimization to be good, but if I've done some mistakes, please report me.
I use a building script to create my packages: you can find it at
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/am29/tgz/texmacs.SlackBuild
I'm updating it today with latest options.
Thanks
Alessandro