Re: [TeXmacs] Documentation for advanced users?

  • From: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Documentation for advanced users?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:09:00 +0100

Am Montag, 6. Dezember 2004 00:21 schrieb Andreas Seidl:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> > I only found out by chance that I can open certain elements by putting
> > the cursor behind them and pressing <backspace>. (Is this basic feature
> > documented at all?)
>
> Well, it is, e.g. in my "hands-on" tutorial:
>
> http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~seidl/texmacs/tmtour.html#3

Thanks. Guess, I should have looked for tutorials much earlier. Now, it did
not teach me much that I had not figured out the hard way before.

Anyway, it led me to one more great insight: finally, I understood now, how
the "\" key actually works. Probably this seems trivial to everyone who knows
it, but it took me a long time to realize it! Before I had understood its
meaning in math-mode for inserting special characters. In text-mode, though,
I never arrived at the insight that I first have to create the command, then
enter the arguments and then activate it... Now, that I know it, I feel
really stupid.

OK, that leaves me with three last mysteries:

* what do I do with commands/macros that I cannot deactivate with the
backspace key? Backspace works on some commands (like "if") but not on others
(like "with). If I have a <with|color|red|some text> command activated in my
text, how do I change "red" to "green" without deleting the text completely?

* Is there a way to edit the keyword of a command directly? I.e. turning a
deactivated command back into a "hybrid command"?

* why isn't the status line giving full information about the tag at the
cursor position? If I have a <with|color|red|some text> tag activated
somewhere and move my cursor there, I see "with red" in the status line,
without any notion about the variable name "color". Actually, I realize that
giving "full" information is not feasible, of course. I just would like to
know what the systematics behind this are.

> Document->View->Edit Source Tree, if you feel you need it.

I know that, but it does not really help me much. What I would like is a way
to selectively switch back and forth between low level editing and layout
view. Obviously, this is possible for certain tags (those, where <backspace>
works), but not for all of them.

Ciao,
Norbert

--