Typing and/or query-replacing math symbols (also, New mode for graphics)

  • From: "David G. Wonnacott" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Typing and/or query-replacing math symbols (also, New mode for graphics)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:12:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Hc-host: Message scanned by SMTP2, Networking & Systems, Haverford College, Haverford, PA 19041 [v011]
  • Hc-mailscanner: Found to be clean
  • Hc-spamreport: not spam (whitelisted), SpamAssassin (score=0, required 1)

Is there any easy way to get query-replace to work with math-mode
symbols -- for example, if I have a document with interspersed
equations that use "+" for logical or, and I want to change the +'s
into the logical or (the v-like symbol in the math operators menu),
can I do that with query-replace? I looked at the documentation for
query-replace, and it seems to presuppose that you can type the text
to be inserted...

If this can't be done, then I'd love to hear if there's a way to type
the logical or with the keyboard rather than having to do a switch
from keyboard to mouse.

In other news, the whole "should TeXmacs have its own drawing tool"
discussion makes me long for the days of the Xerox star document
processing system, or for the OpenDoc project which was (if I've got
this right) supposed to let independently developed tools manage
various elements of a document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDoc).
Unfortunately, I've not kept up with the state of desktop environments
recently -- do any of these things let different applications share a
_single_document_ seamlessly from the user's point of view?

Dave Wonnacott