Re: Re : Re: [TeXmacs] installation problem of win texmacs

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Jack Zhang <address@hidden>
  • Cc: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>, Dan Martens <address@hidden>, address@hidden, Ansari Mohamed <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Re : Re: [TeXmacs] installation problem of win texmacs
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:41:36 +0100

Jack Zhang wrote:

It is very interesting to see that some of my msgs becomes one of
trigger of this topic.

It is because, as I said before, this topic
is an important topic.

Could we return back to the starting point of this discussion. The
real trigger of this talk is indeed from the comment from Dan, on this
msg, he complained for donation from our individual user.

It seems we did not mention anything about the developing the
wintexmacs stuff. I believe most of new comers have faced the similar
problem without any clear guidance which means a couple of days time
wasted.

I say, and I said before, so I repeat it, you are RIGHT, and
the question you raise is INTERESTING.

But please keep in mind that you are not speaking
to *professionnals* (this is in fact what triggered
the discussion towards donations, etc.).

In such a context, the problems you raise are
very real (i.e. having clear guidance for newcomers),
but they are not easy at all to solve, because if we
decide to focus on the guidance for newcomers, then
there is no time left for developing new features.

So the *one and only thing* I wanted to say
is that *to the best of my knowledge*, the
only feasible solution is to rely on the
more skilled users to help the more newcomer
users.

So please consider that I'm fully understanding
how much frustrating it is for newcomers when
they spend a couple of days on a problem.

In the particular case of wintexmacs, one important
root of the problem is that we don't have as much
users as under Linux, so there is fewer people to
help newcomers.

There is no miracle solution to this problem.

I don't know what is the culture on this community at all. But we
never think us as customer, we are users. We enjoy the benefit of
using your stuff and we also report some problems to you helping you
improve your product and propaganda your products. That is our
contribution to this community though it is a very little.

As for me, I don't consider it is very little at
all : in the long run, it is even in fact the main
contribution.

Do you require any user should be a serious developer to your stuff if
they are reporting any bug? BTW, the problem we reported is very basic
and fundamental, any mature product should not have such problem at
all.

I am disappointed by some negative comment from some members of this
developing team. What is your community culture? Open and fair and
respect?

Are you sure that you are not overreacting (even if it is just a
little bit ;-), here ? Because **of course**, the bug you reported
will be seriously taken into account, nobody ever told that people
should be serious developers or anything like that to have their
bugs taken into account.

What has been told, instead, is that because time resources
are limited, most of the time, bugs, problems, wishes, etc.,
cannot be taken into account immediately : but **sooner or
later** they will be taken into account.

I do not understand at all where you see negative comments
in all this ; anyway, it was definitely **not** my intention,
and I'm very sorry if you understood it this way.

Regards, Henri