Re: Re : Re: [TeXmacs] installation problem of win texmacs

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: Jack Zhang <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden, "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>, Dan Martens <address@hidden>, address@hidden, Ansari Mohamed <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Re : Re: [TeXmacs] installation problem of win texmacs
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 02:33:18 +0600 (NOVT)

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Jack Zhang wrote:
It seems we did not mention anything about the developing the
wintexmacs stuff. I believe most of new comers have faced the similar
problem without any clear guidance which means a couple of days time
wasted.
Let's return to technical issues. What do you propose? That uninstalling TeXmacs should delete the .TeXmacs/ directory in the user's home directory? This would be very bad. There should be *absolutely* strict separation of system files and user files belonging to various users (yes, there can be more than one user in a system). Installing and uninstalling something adds and deletes system files. Under no circumstences it should add/delete/modify files belonging to a user (and which user if there are several?)

At the installation time, TeXmacs detects software it can use. There should be some way to do it later, if you install something (TeX, maxima or whatever) after TeXmacs. In Linux, there is such a way; don't know about Windows.

If you search the archive of this mailing list, you will find that the easiest solution of many misconfiguration problems is (for some user) to remove his .TeXmacs/ directory and start TeXmacs again. TeXmacs will re-generate various configuration files. In most cases, it is not really necessary to delete *all* .TeXmacs directory, just one or two files which cause the problem.

So, I don't see a technical problem here. Documentation problem, probably. Documentation for beginners is a difficult thing, writing it requires a lot of time. But it does not require abilities for programming, and can be done by users (a hint).

Andrey