Re: [TeXmacs] use-syntax for TeXmacs guile modules

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] use-syntax for TeXmacs guile modules
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:09:05 +0200

Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:30:45PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:

Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

How does one import a syntax extension from a Guile library into a
TeXmacs module? At a guile prompt, I can do
(use-syntax (ice-9 syncase))
and I can use the :use-syntax option for a Guile module. But how do I
do that for a TeXmacs module?

putting
(use-syntax (ice-9 syncase))
in the code gives an error message:
/usr/share/guile/1.6/ice-9/syncase.scm:130:16: In procedure scm-error in expression (scm-error (quote misc-error) who ...):
/usr/share/guile/1.6/ice-9/syncase.scm:130:16: invalid syntax (safe-cdr . args)

Strange. Perhaps a version problem of Guile,

So if I recompile my TeXmacs with the guile I have installed it might
work?

If you are ready to spend potentially lots of time on
such issues, yes...

As for me, I always limit myself to a simple set of (Scheme, in
our current exemple, but it can be applied everywhere) features
with which I can do everything, this way I (most of the time)
avoid these problems with not-very-much-used features which
are less maintained.

This being said, although perhaps not in the implementation
of Guile (as usual...), syntax constructs are a root part of
the Scheme spec, they should work perfectly.

Side note: do you *really* need using the Scheme
syntax ? And why (perhaps there is another way) ?

or either, ice-9 is not installed inside the embedded Guile inside
TeXmacs, whether it is in the CLI guile which separately can be run
directly under UNIX.

If this were the case, I'd expect a message like "no such file" or "no
such module", not an error on _loading_ the file.

It looks more like a version problem, but this is a guess.

It seems the error you see [syncase.scm:130:16] is itself located inside
the (error) function of Guile. It would be nice to know what were the
original parameters to (error ...), we would have more info about what
is really happening.