Re: [TeXmacs] use-syntax for TeXmacs guile modules

  • From: Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>
  • To: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] use-syntax for TeXmacs guile modules
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:13:53 +0200

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:09:05PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:30:45PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:

>>> Strange. Perhaps a version problem of Guile,

>> So if I recompile my TeXmacs with the guile I have installed it
>> might work?

> If you are ready to spend potentially lots of time on such issues,
> yes...

> As for me, I always limit myself to a simple set of (Scheme, in our
> current exemple, but it can be applied everywhere) features with
> which I can do everything, this way I (most of the time) avoid these
> problems with not-very-much-used features which are less maintained.

From a naive standpoint, S5RS macros are not a "not-very-much-used"
feature of Scheme... The fact that you need to import new syntax from
a module to have them in Guile is just a ... guile technicality.

> This being said, although perhaps not in the implementation of Guile
> (as usual...), syntax constructs are a root part of the Scheme spec,
> they should work perfectly.

Exactly.

> Side note: do you *really* need using the Scheme syntax ?

No, I could teach myself Guile-specific macros instead of using the
R5RS ones. Will probably do that.

--
Lionel