Re: [TeXmacs] background jobs

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] background jobs
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:03:50 +0200

Andrea Gamba wrote:

Hi Alfe,

It would be much better if the production of the pdf or of the new document
were treated as background jobs, so that the user could continue to interact
with the program during their completion.

To solve this problem, TeXmacs would have to create the PDF from an internally created copy of the current document (whose creation might be a similar long-running task as the PDF creation).

I think it should work exactly as you say. Just copying the document is not a
long-running task because it involves no computation at all. More precisely,
what you would do would be to pipe the document to a separate job that would
do
the processing.

I think the convenience of not having to stop working until the end of the
process is huge.

Isn't it a little bit overkill :-). Really, if you
are printing your document, its most likely because
you think you finished modify it.

It breaks the continuity of your work. For instance, I may be
willing to see the results of work done on one section and meanwhile start
looking at the following section, but I cannot do it because the pdf takes
some
minute to be composed (and it's not in the background as it could be).

Another (much more simple) solution: open
another TeXmacs for printing !

Either you cut & paste from the 1st TeXmacs to the
next, & then print, or either you save your section
in the first TeXmacs, and open another one with the
file containing the section & then you print.

Perhaps even one could think about automating these
kinds of maneuverings, and in the case of such a
design, you can implement it by means of scripting
TeXmacs: thus you can do it yourself.

The other approach you propose looks like it would
be necessary to change the C++ codebase of TeXmacs.

In such a case, you would wait a very long (and possibly
infinite) time for having this thing implemented, IMHO.