Re: [TeXmacs] paragraph not to be cut between pages

  • From: Robert Ramsay Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] paragraph not to be cut between pages
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:23:02 +0000

Vincent,

el.douwen wrote:
i work in this moment on a document, composed with lots of little paragraphs

i would like that paragraph do not be cut between ehte pages

i mean: texmacs of course automatically create a new page when one is full

so i have

[... diagram omitted ...]

i could do this manually, inserting a page break where i think one is needed.
but that necessitates to export to pdf, have a look on the result, and inserting manually page break, and if i insert a line in some paragraph, everything is to do again.

To do it manually, you should not have to bother with PDF files. Select the menu item Document -> Page -> Type -> Paper to see where your page breaks will fall. Things like scrolling will be a bit slower, but it's less troublesome than generating a PDF over and over again.

is there ann automatic tool to do this ?

I don't know of one. I am not a developer, but I would guess that this behavior is hard-coded in TeXmacs. If you were working with LaTeX, I would recommend surrounding paragraphs with parboxes or minipages. You can do some of the same things in TeXmacs with single-celled tables, but my experiments just now are not predictable.

It would make sense, also, that one could change the badness of breaking a page in the middle of a paragraph, or tell TeXmacs to avoid 'orphans' of 15 lines (instead of just one), but I don't know if this can be done with the current system.

I doubt this helps much, but maybe someone else who is more intimate with the code will be able to correlate what I have said with what TeXmacs can do...

Rob

registered under charity number SC000278.