Re: [TeXmacs] paragraph not to be cut between pages

  • From: Alfe <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] paragraph not to be cut between pages
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:12:58 +0100

Hi, Vincent ...

el.douwen wrote:

> i work in this moment on a document, composed with lots of little
> paragraphs
>
> i would like that paragraph do not be cut between ehte pages
>
> i mean: texmacs of course automatically create a new page when one is full

What you showed in your diagram is called a *widow* in typesetting: the last
line of a paragraph broken to a new page. There also exist single leading
lines of paragraphs which are cut from the rest of the paragraph by a page
break; these are called *orphans*.

Both are supposed not to happen in typesetting, and TeXmacs handles these
cases properly by stretching or condensing text according to the needs, so
either the page breaks appear *between* the paragraphs (best case and also
preferred by you) or the page breaks appear in the middle of a longer
paragraph. If your paragraphs are all very small (i. e. two or three lines),
the algorithm should prevent break inside the paragraphs completely.

If your paragraphs are longer, well, then putting each of them into a block
can solve your problem. Each block then will have to have a fixed width
(that's the main disadvantage: later changes to the layout then will force
you to change all blocks. You will have to fiddle about with some document
settings as well: Document->Page->Flexibility (set this to a very large value
like 10.0; I don't know of any side-effects but they are possible of course).

To create a block, use Insert->Table->Plain block, paste your paragraph
inside of the block, rightclick on the block,
- Cell->Width...-> 12cm [Return]
(or what you like and fits your document)
- Cell->Special properties->Hyphenation->Top
(otherwise the block does not break the line)
- Cell->Border->All...-> 0cm [Return]
- Cell->Padding->All...-> 0cm [Return]

You might want to copy & paste the created and formatted block for your next
paragraph before you paste the content into it ;-)

In the source it looks like this:

<block|
<tformat|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-hyphen|t>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-width|12cm>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-hmode|exact>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-lborder|0>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-rborder|0>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-bborder|0>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-tborder|0>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-lsep|0cm>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-rsep|0cm>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-bsep|0cm>|
<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-tsep|0cm>|
<row|
<cell|
Here now is the content of the paragraph.>>>>>

Hope this helps a little,

Alfe