Re: [TeXmacs] More on TeXmacs Footnote behaviour

  • From: Sam Liddicott <address@hidden>
  • To: François Poulain <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] More on TeXmacs Footnote behaviour
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:06:35 +0000

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM, François Poulain <address@hidden> wrote:
Le Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:27:42 +0000,
Sam Liddicott <address@hidden> a écrit :

> The safe point at which to save the font environment is after the
> pre-amble when the packages, styles and document pre-amble have
> customized any of the settings that they need to.
>
> If TexMacs can do this after the pre-amble then each user doesn't
> need to fix footnotes for themselves, and we can close bug 30153
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30153

This looks like a (La)TeXish hack. ;-)

Imho, following the general philosophy of TeXmacs, we should (if
possible) fix this problem in a way which doesn't presuppose a
"serialized access" of the document.

As far as "if possible" - there are no other proposed fixes to this bug; and this fix can work.

It might be a hack if it were LaTeX, but closures are great at this and TeXmacs is based on scheme! How else would one do it without requiring every style to specify the footnote format in utter completeness? That would be a hack.

This is the smallest solution that exactly matches the definition of the problem which is how to remove formatting specifications that have been added since the document started - answer: render in that environment.

When you say "serialized" I am not sure if you mean "sequential" or "converted to a text string"; but neither makes much sense to me.

For sequential; what good would the pre-amble be if it wasn't guaranteed to be executed after the styles and packages but before the rest of the document? At what other point can we know what the documents actual default text style is?

As for converted to a text string, we don't do that anyway. We do what footnote should have done all along which is to provide a fixed font environment, and very pleasantly we use the normal environment including any user customisations.

Sam