Re: [TeXmacs] How often does TeXMacs freeze for you?

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] How often does TeXMacs freeze for you?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 18:09:39 +0200

In the recent years there were a few reports in the bug tracker
regarding TeXmacs crashing. Many of them are related to using several
windows (when you say working with several buffers, is it in a single
window?).

In my experience (using linux), TeXmacs crashes much less than what you
describe (except when hacking in scheme, but that doesn't count!).
However -somewhat corroborating your observations- I rarely have more
than two buffers open, I never use the drawing tool nor the replace tool
in math mode. I do have a number of images linked (*not* embedded) in my
documents, though.

I doubt the problems you encounter are specific to MacOS, and therefore
running TeXmacs in a virtual machine would probably only make your life
more complicated. OTOH I think you should try the newest version. As far
as I can tell it is not less stable than 1.99.4. In case of doubt,
backing up/restoring the old installation is as simple as renaming a
folders.

>I was just wondering how often TeXMacs freezes for you all, and
>whether I should invest some time into trying to fix things
If you could help ironing out these nasty crashes, that would be
extremely welcome. Good bug reports for reproducible crashes, or crashes
with backtraces would be nice.

>I would also like to know how much effort would be required to make
>TeXMacs a really robust piece of software. In particular, would anyone
>have an order of magnitude estimate of the financial cost?
For this, Joris may have an idea. You should directly get in touch with him.

best,
Philippe