Re: TeXmacs 1.99.17

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs 1.99.17
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 18:58:25 +0100

Dear Frank,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 05:58:32PM +0100, Frank wrote:
> Will you distribute the server side later? I hope that it could be
> decentralized later.

Yes, the server side _is_ already available for everyone.
You can start your own local TeXmacs server using

texmacs --server

The advantage of the servers that were kindly made set up by Max and Sorin is
that we aim at making them continuously and reliably available.

> I hope that we can take advantage of SyncThing, which is basically p2p
> instead of a centralized server.

I'll look into this.

For now, we have developed our own protocols for live editing.
We also plan to support TLS, as SyncThing seems to do.

Our aim is to support both the centralized server and P2P approach.
The centralized server approach is useful to search and connect people
and to share documents that you want to distribute publicly.
The P2P approach seems better for more private applications.

But please, let's move this thread to address@hidden

Best wishes, --Joris