Re: Finding style file in same directory as document

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Finding style file in same directory as document
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:06:30 +0600

Happy New Year to *,

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, David Allouche wrote:
> Currently, TeXmacs will look for stylesheets in the directories specified
> by
> the TEXMACS_STYLE_PATH environment variable, which defaults to
> ".:$HOME/.TeXmacs/styles:$TEXMACS_PATH/styles". But here, "." refers to the
> directory where TeXmacs was started.
>
> In most modern desktop setups, "." will always be $HOME since TeXmacs will
> be
> started from a laucher bar or an application menu. So TeXmacs will NOT find
> the custom stylesheet.
Are modern desktop setups really THAT bad? I always thought that starting
applications from some predefined directory is the most annoying "feature"
of Windows.

> -- Change the working directory to the directory where the current
> document
> is located. For consistency, this should be done every time a TeXmacs
> window
> gets the focus and every time the buffer associated with the currently
> focused window is changed. Unamed documents could be associated with the
> directory where TeXmacs was started. This behavior is inspired by Emacs.
I am definitely against this approach. I don't want an application to cd
behind my back. I know from which directory I started it, and I prefer it
to be the working directory until I explicitely do something.

> -- Define an new environment variable that holds name of the directory
> where the current document is located, one could name it
> TEXMACS_DOCUMENT_PATH. The value of this variable should be updated in the
> same way as the working directory in the previous solution. This would
> allow
> the best control from the TEXMACS_*_PATH environment variables.
This may be reasonable. But it seems to me that it's easier just to start
texmacs from the right directory.

Andrey Grozin