Re: Finding style file in same directory as document

  • From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Finding style file in same directory as document
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:53:14 +0100

Hello all,

This is a most interesting discussion.
I think the program should react to the persistent "structure", the one that
doesn't depend on session-specific user behavior.

The document tree (the directory where the master file is located --base
uri-- plus all its subdirectories) __is__ the structure here. It is what you
send your colleagues, you don't send them a "starting directory".

> The next question would then be: in which directory should external
> sessions be started? In the directory where TeXmacs is started or in the
> directory of the current document? And how does that makes a difference to
> YOU?

Consequently I think the external sessions should be relative to the current
document (or subdocument, in case it is located in another directory).

If I want to distribute a TeXmacs document tree (a project including some
TeXmacs files, ps files and CAS sessions), I think it is sensible not to have
to keep telling people from what directory they should start TeXmacs in order
to use the existing data on the directory tree. They just open the document
(WIMP-clicking) and everything else works fine...

Please tell me if this reasoning is wrong, because I am a total newcomer and
perhaps missing some point...

A last note. Please take into account that the suspend feature of many
laptops nowadays gives a new "virtually always on" use pattern for some
programs: you just fire up TeXmacs in november and perhaps don't close it for
weeks....

--
álvaro tejero cantero
alqua.com, la red en estudio