Re: Documentation effort

  • From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Documentation effort
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:21:12 +0100

Hello all,

The TeXmacs documentation consists of several parts:

* The online help (brief but rather complete) in the
editor itself.

I suggest that we put our efforts in the english version of
this documentation first.

a) We need a "unified source" approach. I believe CVS will
make the expedient for the moment, there are several free
software projects developing their docs through CVS.

b) it's a bit outdated in some points, and it's very
frustrating to translate outdated items.

c) I suggest establishing a protocol for the documentation
so that we don't end up with a mess of outdated documents
partially translated to 4 languages.

* The tutorial pages on the web.

These are OK, but would benefit as well of a multiple-user
polishing policy. This can be done if they are put in a
zope server, not into a wiki but as normal HTML pages.
Anybody with HTML knowledge in the dev team can then
incorporate improvements.

* Experimental documentation on the Wiki.

The online help is best translated in TeXmacs or LaTeX
(this has been done for Romanian for some pages).

I think we should use TeXmacs.

The tutorial is written in html; I recommend to *not*
translate it on the Wiki. Indeed, TeXmacs should soon
be able to edit html directly and we want to make web
publication available directly from TeXmacs.

Well, the wiki is not such a loss to the doc process:
TeXmacs already imports rather well the html generated by
the wiki, so we can always recuperate the wiki docs.
I hope we will make use of WebDAV, as it supports locking.
For anybody interested, download cadaver (apt-get install
cadaver in debian) and type in the prompt.

> open http://alqua.com/tmresources

The experimental documentation on the Wiki should be used
by user to write the documentation that they would have
liked to have. This may cause some documentation,
but eventually, we will compile an official documentation
from it.

I insist on establishing a doc process so that everybody
knows how their contributions will be leveraged and who
will be the editor(s).

I think there's no need for a separate texmacs-doc mailing
list, but that this can be handled in the forthcoming
texmacs-dev (BTW, Joris, did you intend to have it in
Savannah or in alqua?).

Cheers,

PS. kudos to Marciano for dealing with Cygwin!!

--
álvaro.tejero.cantero
alqua.com, la red en estudio