Re: Some comments on new features and some ideas

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Some comments on new features and some ideas
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:01:24 -0500

Hello,

El mié, 11-09-2002 a las 08:58, Álvaro Tejero Cantero escribió:
> Hello everybody,
>
>[...]
> Presentation mode
> -----------------
> It works for me under KDE but crashes the application under fluxbox.
> Anyone could report about his/her favourite windowmanager?.
[...]

Another Desktop/Window Manager related behaviour is when you try to make
a new row using the keyboard shortcut [ALT] + [Down Arrow Key]. It
doesnt insert a new line but change the active app for TeXmacs to
another app. It just happen to me under Gnome. Its just matter of
disable/change this keyboard shortcut on Gnome using the:

Gnome Control Center -> Sawfish Window Manager -> Shortcuts

and redefine the Lower Window Shortcut.

Maybe because Gnome and KDE are Desktop Enviroments so widely used we
can construct some "related issues" about these enviroments and put in
the Welcome document on TeXmacs. What do you think?

> Variants
> --------
> They are great!!. Congrats, Joris, because they work amazingly well. It
> remains to be seen what is the performance in long documents, a
> preliminary test I made with an imported LaTeX document wasn't very
> encouraging on that side. BTW, thanks for the improvements in the LaTeX
> input filter, Gwenael!.
>
> There's a slight bug I'd like to report in the variants.scm: "exercice"
> and "problem" are variants. The typo in "exercice" prevents the variant
> from using the exercise style.

[...]

I think that 1.0.0.15 is a great release (I soon will update to .16) with
a lot of major improvements, for example the blue box delimiter!. Can
anybody point me where can I find variants? I was looking for them but I
can find it.

> Ultra-newbies
> -------------
> This is an experiment I am conducting with my mother (she's writing a
> book on spanish geography), a person new to computers. I want TeXmacs to
> pass the newbieuser test, because it performs so well already in many
> respects that it would be a pity not to care about these users.

I also tried a experiment with my father (may be the is some new occult
axiom: The perfect final users are your parents, experiment with them :)
). Is has some degree of success. I need more time for this experiment,
but the principal problem was trying to use the content of a StarOffice
writing via html exporting on StarOffice and html Importing on TeXmacs.
This is not a TeXmacs direct related problem, but a problem with
propietary formats. Will be nice to see a lot of improvements on new XML
based formats for Office Suites like OpenOffice so the import-export to
them would be easier. Of course these suites doesnt encourage the
Estructured Text paradigm, but I think that most of final users are
looking for this paradigm when they start to make a more serius job,
(like books and so on). In my experiment the most missed feature in my
father concept was the ortographic higtligthing for misswrote words.

[...]
> have fun, álvaro.
>
> PS. regarding translations, I'm willing to coordinate the spanish
> subproject, with Offray and Pablo. Everybody else is invited. We'll have
> though to structure and complete a plan to adress in order the most
> important issues. I'll write something up in the wiki at the end of the
> month.
>
> I will also update the menu translations now their names seem stabilized
> when 1.0.0.16 comes out.

Tnx a lot for count me on. I also want to help as far as I can to the
TeXmacs comunity. Now I'm finising my Thesis writing (of course on
TeXmacs :) ) so I have more time to return back to the TeXmacs people.
At this moment I'm talking with some people to find a server to put some
TeXmacs Writing examples, in spanish, most of them exercises and
homeworks made by me during various classes. I think that, besides
translations, in this way we can help to build a strong Universitary
local user comunity, that is creating, editing a modificating its own
contents for his academical day to day works. The idea is put all that
content under a GPL like licence for content (Open Content Licence, Free
Documentation Licence, Open Resource Magazine Licence, etc.), ensuring
at least free distribution of the contents. In that way content can be a
comunity joining force for users in the same way that source code is for
developers.

Best wishes,

Offray.