Re: Help needed: addressing a session from scheme

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Help needed: addressing a session from scheme
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:51:19 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:01:41PM +0200, Dan Synek wrote:

> This is my first letter to the mail group. My name is Dan Synek, I work
> and live in Nijmegen, Netherlands,
> and work in a group where we develop formalized mathematics (that is
> mathematical staments and proofs that are so formal that they can be
> checked by a computer program),
> I am trying to interface the coq proof assistant to texmacs.

Sorry for the late reply... I hope you will not get to bad an
impression from not getting answers to your question. I am no expert
of CAS interface matters (for the moment) but I can still give you my
two cents...

> The examples that are given in the texmacs documentation are all about
> the user entering text after a prompt and
> having it sent to a computer algebra system.
> However, one often want commands sent directly from a menu or other
> command and have the actual communication in a special window.

I do not think that is currently supported by TeXmacs.

> Browsing around in source code I found something like that in the giac.scm.
> In the file a function giac-insert is defined, which maybe does what I
> want, but I do not understand the code.
> Could someone please enlighten me, or propose another solution.

giac-insert just inserts a some text (a function call) and places the
cursor at the position of the first function parameter. Nothing which
relates directly to the CAS.

> I am also interested how this relates to a session, so that
> something like giac-insert can be defined that takes a particular
> session as an argument It could then be used
> in a situation where there is more than one ongoing session..

I do not think there is currently support for "first class sessions"
in TeXmacs. The Scheme interface will undergo a massive redesign in
the near future, so the situation may change.

If you need additional help about implementing a CAS interface, just
ask on the texmacs-dev mailing list. Some more knowladgeable people
will be likely to help you.

--
-
David Allouche | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure