Re: Two questions about Texmacs intricasies

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Two questions about Texmacs intricasies
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:20:37 +0100 (MET)

> 1 - For French math gurus
>
> Could someone tell me how left prime is translated into French (found
> in Texmacs and noted `f - grave accent + f in case the encoding is not
> the same): maybe nombres premiers à gauche?

"f prime" stands for « f' » (e.g. the derivative of f) or
« f prime » in French. "Left prime" might be trranslated
as « prime à gauche ».

> I think these are those numbers which are always primes no matter
> whichever number of digits you cut off at the left hand, but how it is
> translated into French ???

So you should not confuse "f prime" with "the number p is prime"...

> 2 - For Texmacs users using the clipping feature
>
> Could someone describe me what this function do and how use it? (with a
> nice little detailed example please). I'm completely out of way with
> images handling in Texmacs in particular, and maybe out of texmacs in
> general :-). Assume that I have no experience with ghostscript and with
> images handling under X11R6, though I have some under Mac OS version
> 7.5 to 10.2.2 and very few under Windows.

You mean the command line option?

When you do not use clipping, each time TeXmacs displays a character,
the smallest rectangle containing that character is first restored to
the background color. Although this method slightly speeds up
displaying text, it is less beautiful than clipping (individual display
of each pixel in the chaacter) as soon as characters shove into each
other, like in "xo".

> 3 - For Mac OS X users
>
> Which software (X11 or not) but free use to make screenshots I can pass
> into Texmacs?

Doesn't electric eyes work?