Re: Two questions about Texmacs intricasies

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Two questions about Texmacs intricasies
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:55:18 +0100 (MET)

> > > 2 - For Texmacs users using the clipping feature
> > >
> > > Could someone describe me what this function do and how use it? (with a
> > > nice little detailed example please). I'm completely out of way with
> > > images handling in Texmacs in particular, and maybe out of texmacs in
> > > general :-). Assume that I have no experience with ghostscript and with
> > > images handling under X11R6, though I have some under Mac OS version
> > > 7.5 to 10.2.2 and very few under Windows.

I am sorry, I now understand that you talk about clipping extern images...
You can just enter a rectangle which can be used for clipping.
The coordinates are specified using lengths w.r.t. the lower bottom.

> Simple: do not use image clipping in TeXmacs. I really do not see what
> is the use of this feature... maybe it has something to do with LaTeX
> compatibility.
>
> If you want to clip an image, use an specialized tool. Personnally, I
> use GIMP, which can take snapshot (restricted to X11 on OSX), perform
> colorspace conversions (64 indexed colors takes less space and lose no
> quality for most snapshots) and can export to PostScript.

You cannot edit plain postscript (for instance) in the GIMP though.
There may be appropriate programs for each type of format to do the clipping
(like image resizing by the way), but TeXmacs just does it for you anyway;
I cannot see why that is bad or useless.

> > > 3 - For Mac OS X users
> > >
> > > Which software (X11 or not) but free use to make screenshots I can pass
> > > into Texmacs?
> >
> > Doesn't electric eyes work?
>
> It is not packaged by Fink.

Is that necessary? Isn't it possible to