modifier keys and remapping

  • From: Kris Kuhlman <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: modifier keys and remapping
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:10:09 -0700

I have been having difficulties with the modifier keys in TeXmacs. I am using an old IBM keyboard which doesn't have a windows key (to remap to the "A-" modifier), so I tried mapping the caps lock key to the "A-" modifier (edit -> preferences -> keyboard -> Caps Lock Key -> map to A modifier), and it seemed to work the first time. (everything else in the keyboard preferences is set to its default setting)

Like emacs (what I am used to), the Alt key is "M-" and the Ctrl key is "C-", and at first Caps Lock was "A-". Now when I restart TeXmacs, Caps Lock and the Alt keys are the same thing; each time I restart it they seem to switch back & forth between "A-" and "M-"

This is bizarre. For example, pressing Alt - Shift - 4 sometimes does spell check and other times inserts an equation (same with Caps Lock - Shift - 4). I have restarted the Xserver several times. This goes on until I switch the Caps Lock modifier back to "do not remap". Is this a problem between Fedora Core 2, Xfce and how TeXmacs remaps the keys?

Confused,

Kris