Re: [TeXmacs] very disappointed

  • From: Luca <address@hidden>
  • To: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] very disappointed
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:07:59 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

Hello Luca,

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Luca wrote:

Today I had my first bad surprise after 2 years of daily use of TeXmacs.
I was working on a document since this morning with the auto-save option
enabled and I saved it several times. Half an hour ago I finished it and
decided to run a spell check befor printing it and texmacs crashed suddenly.
I was not so preocupied as I thought I just had to restart the spell
check but when I opende again the file it was in this morning state with
no sign of modification and the autosave file was the one of yesterday
night.... So all the work lost.... Did anyone experienced this before?
I don't know what had happend since everything was looking normal before
the crash.

I am very sorry, but this sounds quite strange to me. Are you able to
reliably reproduce this bug, in which case I will do my best to correct
it as soon as possible?

Even when something went wrong during the auto-saving, I still do not
understand why the harddisk version did not change when you explicitly
saved the file several times. Can there be something wrong with your
quota or write permissions?

Any hint on how to recover the file?
I think that a bug like this one should be absolutly eliminated... How
can I track such situation?

If it really is a bug, then I agree? In principle, as soon as your file
has a valid name "blah.tm", then autosaving regularly takes place in
"blah.tm~". But things may go wrong when you change permissions or
when the directory which contains your file is physically moved.
In that case, the status bar should contain an error message though
when you attempt to save your document (also for autosaving, I believe).

It look like something veryu strange a full day saying that the document
was saved without having write a single bit....
I hope we can figure out what happend

So do I, --Joris

I figured out what happend.....
The directory I was working was mounted remotely via nfs through the automount daemon and got unmounted while I was working.
So Texmacs directly saved the file and its autosaved version under the mountpoint on the local disk and when I again opened the directory through nautilus after the crash the automounter mounted the remote disk again and I didn't see any file...
I guess that Texmacs doesn't lock the directory on which it works so automounter automatically unmount it after 10 minutes of inactivity, probably it is also related to the fact I opened the file through nautilus and the pwd of texmacs was the default one and not the one in which the file was.
I don't know if it is a feature or a bug.

So the story has an happy end....
Now the question is:
Is there any way to inform texmacs that the directory you are opening the file from is on a remote server so that if it is unmounted it warns you and you can save to another location? OR should it lock the directory to prevent the automounter demon from unmounting it? Or should the pwd of Texmacs when opened from nautilus or similar programs be set to the one of the opened file?

PS
I really hope you will forget the subject of my first message as "really disappointed" sound to me wrong. THis doesn't correspond to the feeling I have for TeXmacs as since I discovered it I found it incredibly necessary for my work and fantastic. However surely you know how one feels after loosing a day of work when already out of schedule...
I love TeXmacs and trust it so much that I thought it wasn't possible what seemed to have happened and in fact after trying to figure all the possiblities out I stopped the automounter daemon and discovered the files.

Thank you for your suggestions hope at least this can help to other in similar situations
Luca Tagliacozzo