Re: [TeXmacs] very disappointed

  • From: Kai Sattler <address@hidden>
  • To: Corey Sweeney <address@hidden>, Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>, Luca <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] very disappointed
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:11:09 +0100

2005-02-05 10:58:41 -0600, Corey Sweeney <address@hidden>:
> > > More generally, we should probably use popup windows for really
> > > important messages. I think that many people do not keep an eye on
> > > the status bar.
> >
> > I wouldn't like TeXmacs to popup on me under any circumstances, but I
> > must admit I think that probably many users would want it.
>
> It took me a while to get used to the status bar, but now I like it.
> Another possibility to popups would be to make important errors in the
> status bar have a red background, or flash or something to gain
> attention.

As people are quite different,
why not make the behaviour on how to communicate warnings to the user
configurable through the preferences? If it was possible to configure
for example the following alternative behaviours of Texmacs when a
warning should be issued:

normal message in status bar
red status bar
blinking status bar
blinking red status bar
poup window

then the user could choose the level, on which she/he would like to
be notified.

Kai