Re: [TeXmacs] Fink problems

  • From: Martin Costabel <address@hidden>
  • To: Jan Ulrich Hasecke <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fink problems
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:21:17 +1000

Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
Hi,

I want to install texmacs via Fink.

Installation without problems, texmacs starts. but when I load a help text I get this error

/sw/bin/texmacs &
[1] 4575
Jan-Ulrich-Haseckes-Computer:/sw/etc juh$ TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
sh: line 1: kpsewhich: command not found
locate: no database file /var/db/locate.database.

There are two problems here: First, the kpsewhich command is not on your PATH. If it exists at all, you need to make sure that the path to its directory is in your PATH variable. So if you have kpsewhich from a tex installation via i-installer, you need to make sure that both the Fink paths /sw/bin:/sw/sbin and the GW path, something like /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current are in your PATH variable. If you have a standard setup and start texmacs from a Terminal.app command line, this should be the case by default.
If kpsewhich does not exist, your tetex installation is not complete, you might need to reinstall it with the "expert" option or something like this activated.

The second problem is that texmacs locates some essential system resources via the locate command (I still find this slightly scandalous, but this has been discussed before), so your locate.database has to be up-to-date for texmacs to run correctly. You need to run

sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

and wait until it finishes before retrying texmacs.

--
Martin