Re: [TeXmacs] command for "autoformatting"

  • From: Alfe <address@hidden>
  • To: Murali Agastya <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] command for "autoformatting"
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:22:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, Murali ...

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Murali Agastya wrote:

> There is a macro called "smart-space" in the CVS that I use sometimes. I
> first got it from this list via DDAA and then Joris modified it. Google
> it and you will find. It allows only one space to be input but even so
> this allows for whitespace to "creep in" for certain combination of
> movements.

Ah, thank you :-)

> I was suggesting that a command that could remove all extra whitespaces.
> Of course, space that is entered via commands such as \medskip, \hspace
> etc. would remain.

Of course, special macros should retain untouched.

But I was rather thinking of a 'mode' or something in which _all_ doubled
whitespace (no matter how they happened to occur) are represented as _one_
space. This, in other words, would mean to disallow entering spaces at
the beginning of a line, disallow entering more than one, and
automatically remove them when they happen due to deletion of text because
TeXmacs is wysiwyg (or wysiwyw, as somebody once put it).

I like the clear structured way TeXmacs uses and find the way it handles
spaces rather annoying; it seems to break the idea because multiples of
spaces should _never_ be used. I think I don't have to put out the
advantages of macros like \hspace \*skip etc., or of the even better ways
to structurally produce the layout you want to have (by using margins,
indentations etc.)

Alfe

Alexander Fetke
PrismTech (Germany) GmbH
Schoenhauser Allee 6-7, D-10119 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49-30-440306-34
Fax: +49-30-440306-78
address@hidden
www.xtradyne.com | www.prismtech.com

* XTRADYNE Security Infrastructure - a PRISMTECH Product Line *