Re: [TeXmacs] Screencasts about TeXmacs

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Screencasts about TeXmacs
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:27:16 +0100

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 02:38:05PM +0100, Javier Arantegui wrote:
> Lack of good documentation is a frequent problem in many FLOSS projects.
> Programmers hate writing it, and users ignore it.
>
> Lately I've playing with Screencasting (1). Here are a couple of
> screencasts
> done by me (2) and (3). I think that this could be a good way ease the
> learning process of TeXmacs. It's easier for the user to watch a video than
> read a help file. And, it's easier and faster for the author.
>
> I'd like to prepare some videos showing how to do different tasks using
> TeXmacs. What kind of tasks should be covered first?

Good initiative. The problem with tutorial is that there are different
types of TeXmacs users:

1) People who write a lot of maths and others who don't.
2) People who use TeXmacs as a front-end to other systems and people who
don't.
3) People who migrated from LaTeX and people who didn't.
4) Students, people at universities, high school professors and students,
etc.

In fact, we probably need several tutorials...
Anyway, some frequently asked things are:

1) How to get started with writing an article?
2) How to type mathematics?
3) How to use the interface with, say, maxima?

After that, there are more specific things, like graphics,
writing style files, etc., etc.

Best wishes, Joris