Re: [TeXmacs] ispell does not respond

  • From: Robert Jerrard <address@hidden>
  • To: Ralf Treinen <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] ispell does not respond
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:11:43 -0700

On Wed, 2005-30-11 at 10:37 +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:27:26PM -0700, Robert Jerrard wrote:
> > Using TeXmacs 1.0.5-3 on a debian sid installation on a 64 bit quad
> > opteron:
> >
> > bob@opteron:~$ dpkg -l | fgrep texmacs
> > ii texmacs 1.0.5-3
> > WYSIWYG e macs-ish mathematical text editor,
> > ii texmacs-common 1.0.5-3
> > WYSIWYG e macs-ish mathematical text editor,
> >
> > The most recent TeXmacs in the Debian packages for unstable is 1.0.5-4
>
> that shouldn't make a difference for this issue.
>
> > When I do a spell check, I get either "no dictionary found for english"
> > or "ispell not responding" (when it sometimes gets a bit further).
> >
> > ispell is installed:
>
> Does it work when you select as document language one of "american"
> or "british" ?

If I set the language to British the first attempt at spell check gives
"no dictionary for British". I've tried a bit more investigation:

I launched TeXmacs from a terminal window and typed "Speell cheaeck"
into the document then ran spell check I get, in the terminal window:

bob@opteron:~$ texmacs
TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
TeXmacs] Launching 'ispell -a -d british'

Texmacs says "Error: no dictionary for british" and if I wait a bit then
try spell check again I get nothing new in the terminal window but in
TeXmacs it highlights the word Speell and gives me the options to
accept, replace, and insert but no alternative spellings are suggested.
If you hit a to accept it highlights cheaeck and gives you the chance to
accept replace insert or use 1. Spell. If you hit 1 it replaces cheaeck
with Spell and says one spelling error has been corrected. Trying spell
check one more time it highlights Speell and gives you the chance to
accept replace or insert but give you no spelling alternatives. If you
hit r and type in Spam and return it replaces Speell with Spam. Spell
check again and it highlights Spell with the options to accept replace
or insert but give you no spelling alternatives. Accept then spell check
again and you get Error: ispell does not respond.

These curious behaviours are repeatable. No new messages appear in the
terminal window during any of this.

Is this a 64 bit translation problem of the string passed to and from
ispell?

Thanks, Bob

--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,