Re: [TeXmacs] maxima breaks

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: "Magyarkuti, Gyula" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] maxima breaks
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:39:22 +0600 (NOVT)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Magyarkuti, Gyula wrote:
Unfortunatelly, setting the variable LANG did not solve my problem. The
output was:

[gyula@gauss ~]$ export LANG=C
[gyula@gauss ~]$ maxima

*** - invalid byte #xED in CHARSET:ASCII conversion
The following restarts are available:
ABORT :R1 ABORT
Break 1 [2]>
Note that the output has changed. The setting of LANG definitely influences the result.

[gyula@gauss ~]$ rpm -qa |grep -i lisp
clisp-2.36-7.fc4
maxima-runtime-clisp-5.9.2-6.fc4
This is a very recent version of clisp with Unicode support. Unfortunately, I don't know how this support works.

I see 2 possible courses of action:

1. Non-scientific
Try several possible settings of LANG, e.g., en_US.utf8, en_US.iso88591 etc.

2. Scientific
Ask the clisp mailing list what the above message means and how to fight it.

Or you can set LANG to what you really want (according to your language preferences) and recompile maxima from sources with your clisp. After that, hopefully, it will work with this setting of LANG.

Sorry for the delay with the answer, I'm currently having hardware problems with my laptop.

Andrey