Re: [TeXmacs] store the backup files in a separate directory

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Kamaraju Kusumanchi <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] store the backup files in a separate directory
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:50:45 +0600 (NOVT)

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Henri Lesourd wrote:
Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
For every file.tm, texmacs creates a backup file called file.tm~ . The
default configuration is that file.tm~ is stored in the same directory
as that of file.tm . How can I configure texmacs so that all the
backup files are stored in a separate directory? Is there any option
like that in the first place? If not, do you think this option
qualifies for a wish list bug? I can file the bug myself, but not sure
whether such a functionality is already in place or not!
It depends. Traditionnaly (i.e. emacs), the ~ files
are stored in the same directory. As far as the
feature you propose is concerned, I'm pretty sure
it doesn't exist yet in TeXmacs, so feel free to
fill a wish. As for me, I hate these ~ files, so
I use another feature that disables their creation
in the first place, namely Edit/Preferences/Autosave/Disable.
I use emacs all the time, and I find *~ files extremely useful (if I forgot what changes I made last time, I just do
diff foo~ foo
). I see a problem with the proposed feature to put backup files to a separate directory. Different files from different directories can have identical names, and the backup file from editing one of them can overwrite the backup file from another file. I think this is not acceptable. With the current (emacs-like) behaviour, this is not possible, because all files in a single directory have distinct names, of course.

Andrey