Re: [TeXmacs] how to handle big number in the big table in texmacs

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Jack Zhang <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] how to handle big number in the big table in texmacs
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 12:42:34 +0200

Jack Zhang wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have to handle the big table containing the big number which is generated in Excel.

I am not sure can I just copy and paste this table as usual as other Windows application.

As far as I know, there is no OLE support in WinTeXmacs. Therefore, as
a matter of fact, you just cannot do it just by Cut & pasting :-(.

Please don't tell me I need to input them again by my typing again. :->

There is a better way to do it : from inside Excel, export your table as
text with delimiters (as far as I remember, you can choose the delimiters
you want ; don't ask me for more details about Excel, I don't remember
more than this : but I'm sure this feature exists in Excel), and then
write a Perl/Python/{your favorite scripting language} to generate the
corresponding TeXmacs markup from this.

E.g. :
<<
+---+
|1|2|
+---+
|3|4|
+---+

can be exported out of excel as :
<<
1,2;3,4;

by means of, inside Excel, exporting as formatted text altogether
with choosing "," and ";" as item & line delimiters, resp.

You can then write a script (I let this part to
you as an exercise ;-) to turn the formatted export
shown above in :
[[
<block|<tformat|<table|<row|<cell|1>|<cell|2>>|<row|<cell|3>|<cell|4>>>>>
]]

, and then you can just cut & paste this markup and
it (should) work !

Regards, Henri