Re: [TeXmacs] Texmacs and version control

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Texmacs and version control
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:19:35 +0100

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:23:59PM +0100, Bas Spitters wrote:
> When writing an article in latex I have used a version control system (cvs,
> svn) to work with co-authors. Does anyone have experience using a version
> control system with texmacs files in this way? Which version control system
> supports merging changes/resolving conflicts in texmacs files well?

I still plan to provide a hack for TeXmacs so as to support CVS when I have
time.
If you have some time, then you may try to do so yourself: in case of
conflicts,
CVS puts several comments in the ASCII file so as to extract the different
versions.
You might try to provide C++ routines which
1) Detect the presence of CVS comments.
2) Extracts the different versions from a conflicting file.
When loading a TeXmacs document, it would then suffice to load one of
the versions found in 2. With more time, we might even produce switches
inside the sources for looking at the different versions.

> Are there any settings I need to change in texmacs to make this process
> work?
> Texmacs stores chaching information in the file and I can imagine that this
> causes conflicts. Does it?

Put <assign|save-aux|false> in your preamble, so as disable caching.

Best wishes, Joris