Re: [TeXmacs] Comparing versions of TeXmacs

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Comparing versions of TeXmacs
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:08:15 +0100

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 05:33:05PM +0000, Robert Lamar wrote:
> Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> >Dear Robert,
> >
> >On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:50:56PM +0000, Robert Lamar wrote:
> >>Upon a recent upgrade between versions of Fedora, a TeXmacs plugin
> >>developed by my group stopped functioning properly. The upgrade brought
> >>TeXmacs from version 1.0.6.7 to 1.0.6.12. In trying to isolate the
> >>problem, I would like to compare the different versions of TeXmacs on
> >>the same machine.
> >>
> >>Is there anywhere, aside of CVS, that these incremental versions are
> >>made available? Hopefully as binaries, but possibly as source?
> >
> >Sure, they are in the archives on our FTP server, either in
> >
> > ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/pub/TeXmacs/targz/
>
> Thanks, Javier and Joris for promptly pointing me to this. It is
> exactly what I hoped for!
>
> I seem to have found the problem: the plugin I am working on uses
> `path-assign', which was deprecated and removed at revision 1.18,
> between versions 1.0.6.10 and 1.0.6.12. What exactly did path-assign
> do? What sort of construct might replace it?

The more robust tree-assign replaces it: instead of maintaining
positions by hand, you can now directly select the tree you want
to change and use tree-assign.

However, the change will probably require some work for you ;^(
I recommend to search for the pattern "path-" in your sources.
You should also read

Help -> Scheme extensions

and more particularly

Help -> Scheme extensions -> Programming routines for editing
documents

> >Finally, whenever possible, I recommend to make plug-ins
> >for TeXmacs public whenever possible. In case of silly changes
> >in conventions (a name change, for instance), this allows me
> >to automatically make the corresponding updates,
> >or at least acknowledge you about possible problems.
>
> In general, I agree that this is a good plan. But in our case we are
> implementing an active research project, and do not feel ready to make
> it generally accessible.

OK, good luck then!

Best wishes, Joris