Re: [TeXmacs] Comparing versions of TeXmacs

  • From: Robert Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Comparing versions of TeXmacs
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:44:42 +0000

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 05:33:05PM +0000, Robert Lamar wrote:
Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
Dear Robert,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:50:56PM +0000, Robert Lamar wrote:
Upon a recent upgrade between versions of Fedora, a TeXmacs plugin
developed by my group stopped functioning properly. The upgrade brought
TeXmacs from version 1.0.6.7 to 1.0.6.12. In trying to isolate the
problem, I would like to compare the different versions of TeXmacs on
the same machine.

Is there anywhere, aside of CVS, that these incremental versions are
made available? Hopefully as binaries, but possibly as source?
Sure, they are in the archives on our FTP server, either in

ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/pub/TeXmacs/targz/
Thanks, Javier and Joris for promptly pointing me to this. It is exactly what I hoped for!

I seem to have found the problem: the plugin I am working on uses `path-assign', which was deprecated and removed at revision 1.18, between versions 1.0.6.10 and 1.0.6.12. What exactly did path-assign do? What sort of construct might replace it?

The more robust tree-assign replaces it: instead of maintaining
positions by hand, you can now directly select the tree you want
to change and use tree-assign.

However, the change will probably require some work for you ;^(
I recommend to search for the pattern "path-" in your sources.

Fortunately, there was only one instance of the path-* family of procedures in our code, so it was actually pretty easy to repair! I ended up fixing it in the manner Henri described in his response to my last message.

You should also read

Help -> Scheme extensions

and more particularly

Help -> Scheme extensions -> Programming routines for editing
documents

Thank you for pointing me to these; I am sorry to have missed them earlier.

Finally, whenever possible, I recommend to make plug-ins
for TeXmacs public whenever possible. In case of silly changes
in conventions (a name change, for instance), this allows me
to automatically make the corresponding updates,
or at least acknowledge you about possible problems.
In general, I agree that this is a good plan. But in our case we are implementing an active research project, and do not feel ready to make it generally accessible.

OK, good luck then!

Thanks. :c)