Re: [TeXmacs] Comparing versions of TeXmacs

  • From: Robert Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Comparing versions of TeXmacs
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:54:30 +0000

Henri,

Henri Lesourd wrote:
Robert Lamar wrote:

I seem to have found the problem: the plugin I am working on uses `path-assign', which was deprecated and removed at revision 1.18, between versions 1.0.6.10 and 1.0.6.12. What exactly did path-assign do? What sort of construct might replace it?

(path-assign $PATH $TREE) is a deprecated
function which was replacing the tree located
at the path $PATH by the tree $TREE.

It has been superseded by (tree-assign $OLDTREE $NEWTREE),
which replaces the tree $OLDTREE by the tree $NEWTREE
in the document.

It works correctly *only* if the tree $OLDTREE is located
inside a document : otherwise, the value $OLDTREE is not
replaced in the parent trees containing $OLDTREE.

On the other hand, if the tree $OLDTREE is located inside
a document, it has the property of having only one parent,
and this parent is updated correctly when you use (tree-assign).

Thank you for this explanation! Your description is very helpful to understand what is going on.

One can implement (path-assign) as :
[[
(define (path-assign PATH TREE)
(tree-assign (path->tree PATH) TREE))
]]

Substituting the body of this definition for 'path-assign' repairs this problem in our code. Thanks for the input.

(it works only if the PATH is a valid
path, of course).