Discrepancies between TeXmacs versions

  • From: Robert Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Discrepancies between TeXmacs versions
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:57:19 +0000

Hello, TeXmacs users!

This is being written after some investigations following the recent "Comparing versions of TeXmacs" thread. I would particularly appreciate input from those who might be in charge of the TeXmacs packages in the repositories of Ubuntu and Fedora. Sorry for a long explanation; I did not want to leave out any clues.

Background: between two computers, I have six TeXmacs installations:

C1: Fedora 7 (Recently upgraded; long story)
(a) TeXmacs-1.0.6.12 (as supplied by Fedora, I believe)
(b) TeXmacs-1.0.6.12-static-gnu-linux
(c) TeXmacs-1.0.6.10-static-gnu-linux
(d) TeXmacs-1.0.6.7-static-gnu-linux

C2: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
(a) TeXmacs-1.0.6.10 (as supplied from Ubuntu repositories)
(b) TeXmacs-1.0.6.12-static-gnu-linux

The 'static-gnu-linux' variants were all from

ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/pub/TeXmacs/targz/

My research group has a TeXmacs plugin which was originally developed under Fedora 5 with TeXmacs 1.0.6.7. After upgrading to Fedora 7, it ceased to work properly. The main symptom is this: the plugin passes data back to TeXmacs which should look like this:

... (tuple 12 "") (tuple 13 "") ...

But under certain installations, TeXmacs reports receiving data looking like this:

... (tuple #{12}# "") (tuple #{13}# "") ...

And gives the error:

/u1/pg/rl47/.TeXmacs/plugins/mathlang/progs/mathlang.scm:111:21: In procedure memoization in expression (for-each (lambda # #) errors):
/u1/pg/rl47/.TeXmacs/plugins/mathlang/progs/mathlang.scm:111:21: Mixed definitions and expressions in (begin (define errb (quasiquote ((unquote error) (nothing)))) (menu-extend mathlang-error-menu (unquote errb))).

In all cases, the plugin reports *sending* the same (correct) data, but in some settings TeXmacs reports *receiving* the wrong (munged) data.

The interesting thing is that this error is seen exactly on the installations that were supplied by the Linux distribution (C1-a, C2-a), and I get the expected values for the others (C1-(b,c,d) and C2-b). It is not a matter of "before or after 1.0.6.x", and it is not a question of the Linux distribution. It seems like some distro-dependant code is interpreting things wrongly. I make no changes to the plugin from test to test.

Thank you for reading this far. Is there anyone here who has an idea of what is going on?

Gratefully,
Rob

--
Robert Lamar