Re: [TeXmacs] Discrepancies between TeXmacs versions

  • From: Robert Ransom <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Discrepancies between TeXmacs versions
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:03:47 -0700

Lamar, Robert wrote:

>> But under certain installations, TeXmacs **reports** [emphasis added] receiving data looking like this:
>>
>> ... (tuple #{12}# "") (tuple #{13}# "") ...
>
> Is this the raw text sent to TeXmacs, or was this read as a Scheme datum (using the version of the Guile parser TeXmacs was linked to) and then displayed? The TeXmacs binary provided by Fedora 7 is dynamically linked to the distribution's version of Guile, while a statically linked TeXmacs binary would include the version of Guile installed on the computer on which it was compiled, possibly with a different parser.

I agree with your added emphasis. :c) I am only reproducing the text that TeXmacs prints to stdio, not the data which passes from the plugin binary to TeXmacs. The way to obtain that data is not obvious to me.

One way would be to run the output of the external program through the Unix command tee.

The Guile version issue sounds like a distinct possibility, but I must confess that I am just learning details of Scheme as I explore this issue. Can you provide any hints on how I might explore this issue from here?

First, look in the Guile "info" documentation for a Guile version information function (accessible to programs running in the interpreter).

Robert Ransom