Re: [TeXmacs] problem with maxima 5.19.2

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: Michael Lachmann <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] problem with maxima 5.19.2
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:05:32 +0700 (NOVST)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Michael Lachmann wrote:
The problem is, I think, with the grep line:
---
if grep -F list-avail $MAXIMA >/dev/null
then
# 5.9.0 or later
---
My maxima script does not contain "list-avail", and yet it accepts the --list-avail option

This is really disturbing. Your maxima script looks quite different from what I have on Linux. It contains, near the end, after a long list of possible lisps with the corresponding "exec ..." lines, the following:

else
echo "$0: lisp=\"$MAXIMA_LISP\" not known. Use --list-avail to see possible
options." >&2
exit 1

Your version contains just one possibility, "exec sbcl ...", and no "else".

Is this maxima script the standard one on macs? If so, maxima_detect should be re-written again, to take into account such possibility.

The history is following: in maxima-5.9.0 the option --list-avail appeared; it was implemented directly in the shell script, and, naturally, the string "list-avail" was present in it. Later, the functionality was moved to the lisp layer, but the string was still present in the script "maxima", so, the test in maxima_detect continued to work. If there is some widely used maxima package for mac which installs the script without this string, we should find a way to detect this variant.

By the way, the latest TeXmacs is 1.0.7.3, but 1.0.7.2 is certainly new enough.

Andrey