Re: [TeXmacs] Problem with my new installation

  • From: Alfe <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Problem with my new installation
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:00:12 +0200

Hi Richard,

TeXmacs is made for Unix-like systems; therefore, to get it running on
Windows systems, we have to install cygwin which is a kind of a
Unix-Emulation for Windows. This is the reason why the error messages you
get are not typical Windows-style but rather Unix style. In detail:

address@hidden wrote:
I have just installed cygwin. And it seems to work.
Then i have loaded TeXmacs-1.0.7-src from the GNU Website. I saved it in
cygdrive/c/tmp/
The operation
tar -zxvf TeXmacs-1.0;7-src.tar.gz
worked : it made a lot of files (flooding the cygwin window).
Then i type
cd TeXmacs-1.0.7-src
and it works : we are now in cygdrive/c/tmp/TeXmacs-1.0.7-src, and i type
./configure

./configure tries to prepare the build scripts to the helpers you have
installed. Several helpers are needed to build TeXmacs, most prominently a
compiler, but it does not have to be one specific; it can be one of several.
The ./configure tries to find out which helpers are installed and prepares
the build scripts so that they will deal with the installed helpers.

and here is the result :
<<
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin

Just informational output: Your system is a "Unix" of type i686-pc-cygwin ;-)

checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in 'cygdrive/c/tmp/TeXmacs-1.0.7-src' :
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

No such helper found (in this case the C compiler): This is a reason for
./configure to abort. The mentioned $PATH is what Windows users call %PATH%;
this is a list of directories in which executables are searched for by the
system. In the cygwin window you can type 'echo $PATH' to find out what
yours is set to (but this won't help you).

But anyway, in none of these directories is a compiler ./configure can
handle, so as
Khadga Karki wrote:
Try installing gcc first.

Do that. Try ./configure again then. See what helper is missing next. Come
back here if you have no clue ;-) Good luck.

Alfe