[TeXmacs] Importing (or manually rewriting) ACM style guide

  • From: "David G. Wonnacott" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Importing (or manually rewriting) ACM style guide
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:57:19 -0400

Hi TeXmacs community,

I've just finished another round of happily using TeXmacs to write up several documents for which I can largely control the formatting and for which I can produce a .pdf file. But the recent question about LaTeX imports got me thinking about a problem I'm having that's keeping me from using TeXmacs. Specifically, publishers who define a required style might provide MS Word templates (ugh) or, if I'm lucky, a LaTeX class. As far as I know, none provides a TeXmacs style. I am running experiments this week that might give me something worth submitting to PLDI (it's been a long time since I've done so).

Thus, with any luck I'll soon need to either
(a) cope with LaTeX, possibly by trying one of the WYSIWYG's for it (not ready for prime time when I checked quite a few years ago and adopted TeXmacs), or
(b) try to manually conform to the ACM SIGPLAN style defined at http://www.sigplan.org/authorInformation.htm, possibly by writing a TeXmacs style file for it.

I'm hesitant to do (b), partly because I've had trouble switching between single- and double-column layouts in TeXmacs and I think the style involves two columns for most of the paper but *not* for the title, authors, and perhaps the abstract.

I tried importing into TeXmacs the LaTeX template document that is distributed an example of the style, but it didn't look much like the output of pdflatex on this file.

Would anyone care to
(1) produce an ACM SIGPLAN texmacs style as a service to authors, and to help increase acceptance/use of TeXmacs,
(2) reassure me about switches between different numbers of columns, or
(3) suggest a LaTeX WYSIWIG (I hate all the rounds of tweaking numbers and watching it re-render, but could try to remember how to use LaTeX if I had to...)

These are listed in order of preference, but #1 of course requires someone better at TeXmacs styles than I am. I have dabbled a bit but am not confident enough to put these in the public sphere and I need to focus on research and the writeup thereof, not on configuring TeXmacs.

At some point, I may need to export the result of my editing as a LaTeX document, but this would only happen if I'm accepted, and if that were to happen I'd be so happy I'd re-type the whole thing into LaTeX if necessary (just as long as they don't make me use MS Word).

Thanks for any help anyone can give,
Dave W