[TeXmacs] Texmacs as a Mathcad replacement

  • From: Paul Zarucki <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Texmacs as a Mathcad replacement
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 19:58:37 +0100

Hi,

Bill Eaton mentioned that he was looking to use Texmacs as an alternative to Mathcad. I explored the same idea a while back and made some documents to show how Texmacs can work as a platform for doing calculations and documenting them. I think Texmacs works well for this when used in combination with appropriate plugins and external programs like Octave, Maxima and so on.

I attach a PDF copy of one of the documents. You can find more at

http://kpweb.homelinux.org/blog/files/texmacs/

The file tm_files.tar.gz contains the Texmacs files while the folder 'pdf' contains PDF versions which you can read without installing the software that I used.

I would also second David Miller's comments about using a virtual machine with the necessary software installed and configured. Likewise for the Texmacs live CDs that have been discussed on this list. These could make Texmacs more accessible for those who simply want to use it without having to install and configure all of the necessary software.

Paul.

  • [TeXmacs] Texmacs as a Mathcad replacement, Paul Zarucki, 05/15/2013