Re: [TeXmacs] Sympy plugin

  • From: "David E. Miller" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Bill Eaton <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Sympy plugin
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:02:42 -0400
  • X_cmae_category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined

Hi Andrey:

Thanks for your input. You are correct on all in all you have said below:

On 5/15/2013 4:27 AM, address@hidden wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013, David E. Miller wrote:
I can't find a sympy plugin in either version in the distribution file tree as installed.
It's a part of sympy.
-> I discovered this after looking at the sympy package on my system package manager which occurred after I sent the email.

Second, since this is a Python module, I would first try to use the existing Python plugin and fire up a Python session in a TeXmacs doc
and load your sympy module and see how the Python plugin handles the some stress tests you can try.
-> The idea was to see if the sympy module itself when used with the existing Python plugin performed as expected with no
anomalies or errors. This experiment bypasses the sympy plugin altogether and uses the Python plugin which I know to work well
in general with the Python modules I have tried. However, as you note this alone is not sufficient to get the intended result.
If the sympy module does not work as expected in this case, then it may not be worth the trouble to try to use it as a basis
for a new sympy module in any case.

This is by far not sufficient. sympy is a CAS, and the main reason to use it inside TeXmacs is to get nicely typeset formulas. The python plugin alone will not do this.
-> True, but not all plugins achieve this result to the same degree. The plugins also provide a way to include the results of these various supported
programs into a TeXmacs document without having to spend a lot of time and effort cutting and pasting directly from the supported program
itself. Formatting of results to look nice and consistent with TeXmacs is always a plus. However, as I note, this is not always the case. Some plugins
return output verbatim such as the Shell plugin, which is by the way is now dead on my GNU/Linux package versions for some while now. Some
plugins require the manual use of special functions to get nice or modified output such as Octave for example.

What's needed is some hybrid of the current python plugin (distributed with TeXmacs) and the current sympy plugin (distributed with sympy).

-> This is probably the best course of action. However, given that sympy works as a loaded Python module using the existing TeXmacs Python module
it might be the case that the solution s no more complicated than loading the module from the Python plugin code instead of from the
[Python TeXmacs prompt and then merely adding some code using the functions of the sympy namespace to process the output returned
to TeXmacs to get the desired effect. This modified Python plugin can then serve as a new sympy plugin if it is configured as a new plugin
by the means TeXmacs requires.

Andrey

As is often the case, two heads are better than one. Thanks for your input. I hope this helps Bill with his effort.

David