Re: [TeXmacs] Sympy plugin

  • From: "David E. Miller" <address@hidden>
  • To: Bill Eaton <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Sympy plugin
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:00:04 -0400
  • X_cmae_category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined

Bill:

Given your lists of "wants" below, since I am familiar with MathCAD I suggest the following:

* Maxima is arguably the best open-source CAS system I have used. The plugin works and
the TeXmacs Maxima plugin output looks nice.

* Maxima has a units module that you can load and use. I have not tried it personally. I
Use GNU Units instead for conversions and merely make sure that I use a consistent
set of units to begin with instead of mixing them together in expressions. This avoids
having to carry these unit abbreviations along with all the expressions involved. This
is really and pain in the you-know-what.

* Maxima can do numerical work as well, but that is not its primary strength. You might
try Octave instead. Python NumPy and SciPy modules work well also using the
Python plugin for this purpose. Maxima may have all you need though.

* I recommend loading the Maxima draw module for your plotting. Maxima has some
stock plotting functions, but in my opinion the draw module is superior to these.

Having said all this there are a couple of caveats here of which you should be aware:

- Maxima input is all text. There is no worksheet GUI environment like MathCAD uses.

- TeXmacs and the Maxima plugin does not replace a special purpose interface
to Maxima for routine work were there might be a lot of trial and error
involved. I think wxMaxima is best for work like this. You can use TeXmacs
for this if you choose, and to the credit of the developers there is much
that can be done, but TeXmacs is primarily for communicating results in
most instances. You will have to try both according to your needs and
see what works best for you.

- The TeXmacs existing Octave plugin has a bug it appears. I have a fix for this I
found by trial and error that seems to fix the issue so far for me.

- Including images in TeXmacs requires some know-how that is not obvious from the
interface. In the end TeXmacs likes PostScript, that is, Encapsulated PostScript image
format. All other formats are converted using "helper" programs on the fly as
image is inserted. So the best bet is to use a "terminal" ( I am using gnuplot lingo)
like epscairo to save any plot image to EPS. I have a paper I have written about the
issues of image insertion using TeXmacs that explains all this in detail. I will send it
to you if you have the interest. Images having any "transparency" effects are
a particular problem that needs to be addressed. These need to be "rasterized"
EPS files before insertion. These rasterized images can be large.

- I recommend that you stick with GNU/Linux instead of Windows or OS X versions
of TeXmacs or anything else for that matter. You will save yourself a barrel of
headaches. There are so many useful tools available and everything works
together it seems to me much better.

If you decide you want to use Maxima with TeXmacs, then I can help. I use it all
the time with TeXmacs and the Maxima plugin is top-notch in my opinion.
I have a paper I have written that provides users with the essential ins and outs of
using Maxima. It is an elaboration of a paper written by Robert Dodier
titled "Minimal Maxima." My version is called Minimal Maxima Revisited."
I will send this to you if you have the interest.

Best wishes,

David Miller