Re: [TeXmacs] inline plots

  • From: Henri Girard <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] inline plots
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 08:11:09 +0200

Le 20/05/2013 20:28, Bill Eaton a écrit :
Ok. I managed to get inline plotting working in Octave. It's kind of kludgy
at the moment, but it works. It should work with Matlab as well. Although,
if there are any differences it is possible to write one set of code that
autodetects if its running from Octave or Matlab and does the appropriate
thing.

What I did: Create a file called ps_out.m which contains

function ps_out(fname)
disp( [char(2) 'ps:' fileread(fname)' char(5)] );
endfunction
This is slightly different from my earlier post. I put this file in the same
folder as a file called "tmrepl.m". In Linux this is found in
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/tm. In Windows, it's buried
in a C:\Program Files\TexMacs directory.

Here is a minimal example of how you might use this in a session on Linux:
cd ~/
x=1:10
plot(x, x.^2)
print 'test.eps' '-S500,300'
ps_out('test.eps');
And voila! You should now have an inline plot. Ha! If you go back and tweak
things, you can quickly regenerate a 'test.eps' file and update the inline
plot. It seems to behave well for the 5 minutes of testing I did.

Going forward, if this were to be included in future releases, we could
leave it as is. Or we could also modify the "tmrepl.m" file to look for
ps_out. I think the latter would be better, because then the user wouldn't
have to worry about including or excluding the semicolon on the
ps_out('test.eps') line.

One minor complaint: the previewed eps image doesn't look all that great. If
I export the whole document as a PDF file, it looks great. But on screen
it's a little washed out. I'm not sure if there is any remedy for this.

Bill Eaton