[TeXmacs] TeXmacs CAS Integration

  • From: "Marcus L. Thompson" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs CAS Integration
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:29:17 -0400

Good day.

Was interested in putting together a TeXmacs/CAS arrangement similar to the well-known Maxima integration.  While I would appreciate being able to just use Maxima itself, the program seems incapable of performing quotient/remainder operations with polynomials.  This facility is critical for my purposes; and it's quite surprising that Maxima hasn't yet implemented such functionality.

The goal, therefore, is to have a live symbolic document computation scheme similar to the Maxima integration; using a CAS which provides the needed polynomial functionality.

In that spirit, I have installed Axiom for testing on my TexMacs-equipped Ubuntu machine.  Based upon some of the program's documentation, Axiom may have the functionality I am looking for.  However, after installing the core Axiom components, there appears to be no way of interacting with the program from the TexMacs UI.

Finally, Xcas does indeed support the sought-after functionality with quorem.  From what I was able to glean, Xcas can also be run via TexMacs in a manner similar to Maxima; but there seems to be little help getting this type of interface together with the TexMacs GUI.

So, in a nutshell, any help getting Maxima-like UI functionality with Axiom and Xcas (or perhaps another CAS which has quotient/remainder functionality with polynomials) inside TexMacs would be quite well appreciated.

Thank you; and have a great day.

----