Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs CAS Integration

  • From: "Marcus L. Thompson" <address@hidden>
  • To: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs CAS Integration
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 10:30:16 -0400

Fair enough, Andrey; but one could well suggest that, as common and good practice, if a fundamental function is not encompassed as would be reasonably expected in context, the missing function might be provided as a matter of course.

Indeed, I'm sure most of us could agree that "divide" is a foundational operation in mathematics as a whole; so perhaps this would weigh heavily towards its inclusion by default...

At any rate, applying a division function patch to the Maxima plugin (/plugins/maxima/progs/maxima-menus.scm) in the following manner,

  (-> "Arithmetic"
      ("Factor" (maxima-apply "factor"))
      ("Divide" (maxima-apply "divide"))
      ("Gcd" (maxima-apply "gcd"))
      ("Lcm" (maxima-apply "lcm")))

does seem to add the functionality desired; if the _expression_ is formulated as raw command-line syntax.  Rummaging through the installed filesystem located and pointed towards this solution for me.

Perhaps there's a problem with my installation at this juncture, but calling for Maxima to execute a "divide" operation on a conventionally-formatted GUI entry such as

x5 +3*x4 -12*x3 +0*x2 +0x +2x2 -3*x -1\frac{⋯}{⋯}

...consistently yields the following result

[0, false()]

Since I do not have another (fresh) system installation of TexMacs/Maxima with which to make a functional comparison, I request comment from the community as to whether or not this might be operationally correct.

Thank you once again; and have a good day.